The month of September is being observed as the Blood Cancer Awareness Month. To commemorate the Blood Cancer Awareness Month and the World Marrow Donors Day (September 14), a Bone Marrow Donor Registration Drive was organized today at the Manav Rachna campus jointly by Dr. O.P. Bhalla Foundation and Jeevandayini Social Foundation in technical collaboration with Datri, India’s largest Stem Cell Donor Registry.
Dr. Rahul Bhargava, Haemato-Oncologist, Fortis Memorial Institute, Gurugram graced the occasion. He encouraged the young audience to participate in the Bone Marrow Donor registry drive. He said: “What we require in today’s world is a true human being, who can rise upto the occasion to save a life”. He cited many instances where people even after registering backed out at the time of the bone marrow transfer because of some other commitments. He cautioned people that the day they back off, there is one life which dies that comes to an end because you were their only hope.
Third is the third such drive organized at the Manav Rachna campus to sensitize the youth on Blood Disorders including Leukemia (Blood Cancer), Thalassemia, Aplastic Anaemia and Sickle Cell Anaemia and to encourage them to register for the Drive. Dr. M M Kathuria, Trustee, MREI; Dr. Sanjay Srivastava, MD, Manav Rachna Educational Institutions (MREI); Dr. Chavvi Bhargava, Dr. O P Bhalla Foundation; Dr. Hanu Bhardhwaj were among the people present on the occasion. 93 students registered themselves for Bone Marrow Donation. Jeevandayini was enabling the bone marrow donor registration process in which a buccal swab sample was taken. This sample will be further tested and recorded with Datri.
Ms. Madhulika Jain, President, Jeevandayini Social Foundation thanked the Marrow Donors, Blood Stem Cell & Cord Blood Unit Donors across the globe who have already donated or are on the Global Registry to donate. She said: “Let us embody the virtues of humanity and compassion. The Bone Marrow Drive at Manav Rachna has encouraged students to become agents of change to make the society cancer free and help alleviate pain.”
Ms. Satya Bhalla, Chief Patron, MREI and Dr. O.P Bhalla Foundation stated, “A bone marrow transplant replaces a patient’s diseased blood-forming cells with healthy cells. A well-matched donor is important to the success of a transplant. Because the tissue type is inherited, you might expect that a family member would be the best match. However, only 30% of patients will have a relative who matches and is able to donate. The other 70% need someone like you to donate their healthy marrow.”