The Foundation has adopted the Mohna village and is undertaking regular weekly development activities in the school and the village like teaching, training of teachers, health camps, awareness and cleanliness drives, etc.
About Mohna Village
Mohna Village is situated in the Faridabad district of Haryana and having a population of 25,000 ‘Mohna’ is a small village surrounded by 5 villages near Ballabhgarh District. The first sight of Mohna gives an impression of a developed and advanced small town. It is a village which is changing with time yet carrying its roots.
The soul of Mohna lives in its people, 60 percent of the population still lives in villages of India. It is free from the hustle and bustle of the city life, is peaceful, calm, quite and full of greenery where one can breathe fresh air. The villagers are socially knit together, every evening they assemble in the village “Chopal” with their ‘hukkas’ and chatting and talking goes on till late the night.
Civil Work By Foundation
For the development of Mohna girl’s school, a lot of civil work was taken up to improve the facilities school has. Some of the activities undertaken were:
- Generators were repaired since there was no electricity from 7am to 2 pm.
- White Washing was done.
- Boundary Wall was constructed around the school premises.
- Staff Room was established.
- Drinking Water was made available.
- The black boards were painted and repaired.
- Furniture in the form of chairs and benches were provided to the students.
- Library, Science Labs, Computer Labs were repaired and resources were provided. Functionality of these was checked.
- Landscaping of the school was done.
- The open air amphitheatre was repaired.
- Windows and ventilation was checked and repaired by putting mesh.
- Sanitation facilities were provided and improved by repairing toilets.
Field Survey In Mohna Village
In order to have a better idea about the people, their culture and environment they live in, the students of FMS, MRIU with the faculty members visited the village and gathered detailed information about the village through a Field Survey. It was the first activity which was undertaken under Mohna. The students collected data from the villagers by doing a door to door survey.
- Total Population of Village Mohna: 18474
- Male Population: 9976 (54%)
- Female Population: 8498 (46%)
Out of the total families of village Mohna, 90% were found to be Hindu Families while there were few Muslims (7%) and Christian (3%) as well.
The literacy levels in Mohna were quite low, the percentage according to the data collected was:
- Literate Population: 56.01%
- * Post Graduates: 2.68%
* Graduates: 10.54%
* Till 10th: 20.88%
* Till 12th: 19.28%
- Illiterate Population: 43.99%
There was a strong disparity between boys and girls rate of enrollment in schools in the village. It was found that boys have a higher tendency to be enrolled in schools than girls. Apart from this, girls are more likely to drop out of schools than boys, due to early marriage or family decisions.
- Enrollment in Private Schools: 69%
- Enrollment in Govt. Schools: 31%
- Agriculture/Agriculture related work: 41%
- Service Sector: 22%
- Construction work: 15.6%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
Apart from this, information was taken with reference to the transport facilities available, household activities, mode of transportation, source of drinking water etc.